Why Ayn Rand is Basic Bitch Economics

Ayn Rand took WAY too long to bring way too few economic lessons to the masses. Cappy explains. Truth at a reasonable price! Visit! http://www.assholeconsulting.com Podcast: https://soundcloud….

32 thoughts on “Why Ayn Rand is Basic Bitch Economics

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

I read atlas shrugged as a German and what shocked me that I read about things I thought and experienced but almost no one here knows that book.
    Naturally I grew up thinking of myself as a socialist but as soon as I started working I figured how dumb the idea is when it is implemented into reality.

So to me it was good but I get your points.

The thing is that here intelligence does not matter a bit.
    I ended up trying t build up my future and save money but oh no, no matter how good you are and how much you learn in lower jobs.
    You don't get more than 1300euro per month which is maybe 1000 after taxes.

She explains that view for many people and she has some focus on psychology.

If you already know this stuff it is old news.

Since I read it I figured out a lot about the European economy and I was able to make sense of it.

The biggest problem is that the majority equals capitalism with fashism since we only get educated by socialist leaning idealists.

When I made my IQ test in 2000 the general IQ here was at 115-120.

I got a result of 158 and since then the general IQ dropped a lot.
    Now it is normal to have an IQ about 100.

Anyway understanding capitalism helps to understand more and if you want to explain it to dumber people you have to describe it starting from scratch.

I found a way to do that and I call it the mammoth principal.

Basically it is about hunters finding a very efficient way to kill a mammoth and nobody questions that the thinkers who also hunted will get the best parts.

Otherwise why would they risk so much if they have no right to their idea.

A lot of people still don't understand that.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

Even thouh I've read the entire Harry Potter series several times, I still think my life is too short to read Ayn Rand…

I read Atlas Shrugged like I read Curse of the High I.Q.:
    Audiobook at work. And yes, Atlas was 62 hours, and that was 62 hours' worth of entertainment for 14 bucks (1 credit), per reading. The final conflict was a bit weird, but otherwise a great audiobook!

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

If you have never read Rand then don't do a video on her. You come across as a total creep in this video and very arrogant. This video is FAIL.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

Audiobook, Atlas shrugged, get an audible account, worth it at 1.5 speed.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

Her name isn't Ann, it's Ayn. And she wasn't an economist, she was a philosopher. And maybe certain economic principles are obvious to you, but most people don't know the first thing about economics.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

Ayn Rand was retard in abstraction. I suffer from opposite problem: I have problems expressing things in concrete terms. Everything is thought in terms of f*cking equations.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

1) Just read Virtue of Egoism. Her novels and her ideas are 2 different things (form and ideas).
    2) It's the same with Freud. So many ideas put by them seem to be common sense now. NOW, because they were then to write them down.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

I read Atlas shrugged when I was 20. It's a great book, but it is very long-winded. Not sure if someone who doesn't read any of Ayn rand books ,as you claim you haven't, can actually critic her writing. Kinda like a virgin saying why she doesn't like getting pounded with a big cock.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

I'm a mathematician but I never solved any math problems. You're being lazy and arrogant Aaron. The fact that you didn't even listen to the audio book of Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead is incredibly disappointing. The huge irony of not taking your own advice. :/

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

It's not 100%, but you can usually tell someone is about to misrepresent or misunderstand Ayn Rand (Eye-n Rand) by the way they pronounce her name.

Aaron this is just so weak. What is her basic argument that is so common sense to you? I can assure you that if you actually believe this to be the case, that you do not know her arguments surrounding economics – they're simple in the sense that they're easily grasped when approached rationally – however they're fully founded in a philosophical framework, that can't be gleamed from a skimming of her work.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

Err you should just read her non-fiction books…they're shorter essay compositions…

> The virtue of selfishness
    > Capitalism: The unknown ideal
    > Philosophy: Who needs it?
    > Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology (now that's a longer one)

The fountainhead is an average sized book for the competent intelligent reader. Atlas Shrugged takes a while to get through on the other hand. They are both well worth a read if you have any interest in philosophy and want to see how her views differ from common sense. The movie is not worth watching.

Anthem is a short story so very easy to read. We the living is a small novel but can be read in a week.

It may be common sense but it's fun to read books set with man as a heroic character. There's also an importance in knowing WHY capitalism is moral and why self interest is important and how we understand the world. This is mostly Aristotelian philosophy.

Sadly if you don't read, you don't learn and Rand is not an economic philosopher she is a moral philosopher.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

"(F)or over thirty-five years, I've been watching people cracking wise about something of which most of them are completely knowledgeless (compared with "humorless"). The former is a lot more serious matter to me, and I suspect that that has a lot to do with also watching the American cultural devolution over the same period. "Boring" wouldn't be the word for it.

No editor was going say a word to her about the high-heels thing. When she signed the deal for "Atlas" she got complete editorial control, a fifty thousand dollar advance, a fifteen percent royalty, and an initial print run of seventy-five thousand copies. That was an unheard of deal in the 50's, but Bennett Cerf knew what sort of a property was coming his way, and he wrapped that deal in five minutes. He was right. There were editor types who later tried to cheez on the "control" part, and she was taking them to war over individual commas in a nearly twelve hundred page manuscript.

Her "Journals" (published in 1997) are full of good insights to her hows and whys underpinning the book.

Anyway, it drives the Shi'ite Objectivists crazy when anyone says this, but I always recommend Chris Matthew Sciabarra's "Ayn Rand: The Russian Radical" (Pennsylvania State University Press, 1995) for a damned good one-stop shop on That Woman. Her own nonfiction is not the most effectively organized corpus that I ever saw, and Chris does a pretty good job of integrating it. (For one thing, I use it as a sort of master index to her own works.)

Personally, I consider her theory of concepts to be the premier achievement in the whole of twentieth century philosophy, which is a very big deal.

It's part of the "solution"." — Billy Beck (2006).

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

"I"m much more efficient, more more economic." — Well, no; because Rand wasn't in the business of teaching economics. She was in the business of imparting an ethical philosophy in an era in which novels were the primary form of escapism.

You can't just hammer "Thou Shalt Not Steal" like a Sunday morning preacher if you want to keep an audience of better than dullards glued to morality tales. You have to peel the onion slowly, dwelling on every villain's character flaws in minute detail, building an exhaustive catalog of on-display psychotic personalities and the weaseling gibberish they spout.

— Then, the readers see that shit in the various creeps and Bernies around them, and are wizened up and inoculated. (This was Rand's genius, and why the Left hates "Atlas Shrugged" with an enduring fury that is has allocated to little else. They correctly identify Rand as Capitalism's foremost champion, and she and her legacy are therefore target numeral uno.)

Rand parlayed the strength of her novel into a "The Mike Wallace Interview" in 1959. See youtube video 1ooKsv_SX4Y

That's efficiency.

• August 14, 2018 at 4:11 am

I agree Ayn Rand writes poorly, because she is more a philosopher/idea woman than a nuanced writer (she's a Russian but wrote books in English). But to say you won't read her books because they are too long is a sign of intellectual weakness. It takes about 10 days to read Atlas Shrugged if you are determined to read it – easy structure, plot, no complicated ideas – easy read. Important ideas. Worth reading.