Why a total solar eclipse is such a big deal

How solar and lunar eclipses work. Note: This is an update of a video we published in 2015. Sources: Getty Images https://www.amazon.com/Totality-Great-American-Eclipses-2017/dp/0198795696/ref=…

38 thoughts on “Why a total solar eclipse is such a big deal

I'm now 16 yrs old, even once I did'nt see those phenomenas

Another total solar eclipse will come on 2019 and 2020

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

3:05 coincidence? I always wondered how is this possible. It is too much of coincidence don't you think?

If anyone gets blinded by an eclipse, tell them you followed this 0:45

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

I saw the August 2017 one at "97%" and it was underwhelming. There was no glorious ring around the moon, and the only way you could see it is if you were wearing the eclipse glasses, which just looked like a black dot inside of an orange dot. It was cool and all, just not as much of a hype as I thought it was gonna be.

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

cool model, now I get why Satanists dig the pentagram so hard

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

I went out to see The Great American Eclipse last year. I can say without any exaggeration that it was the single most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

And if you get a chance to see it, you should
    minutes after the eclypse;
    Most searched trend in Google
    My eyes hurt a lot, what should I do?
    XD I'm not blaming you but it's funny how people didn't know that looking straight to thesun would hurt their eyes…

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

Temperature drops during a solar eclipse proving the sun is the number one cause of global climate change. We must outlaw the sun. 🙂

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

My family and I drove 8 hrs to see it. It was totally worth it!

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

there was one in my city but it was cloud and the teachers wont let us outside

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

"THE MOON LADNGING WAS FAKEKEKD!"
    Yes, because obviously adding those mirrors anchored to the surface of the moon in order to measure it's distance was faked.

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

So, here's a super cool bit of trivia I learned recently. The Sun and Moon take up about the same amount of space in the sky, right? Now, because of the way that gravitational attraction scales with distance, tidal acceleration (the difference in gravitational acceleration between two points at different distances from a massive object) scales inversely with the third power of distance. Tidal acceleration also scales with mass, which in turn scales with the third power of radius. If you cancel these two scaling factors out just right – say, by having two objects take up the same angular size and giving them the same density – then they have equal influence on our tides.

But, for our Sun and Moon, they don't exactly cancel out. The Moon is about 2.3 times as dense as the Sun, so its impact on our tides is about 2.3 times as intense.

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

What's your favorite planet? Mine's the sun. I used to stare at it for hours with a pair of binoculars.

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

This video is bullshit. And I never say this about Vox. Check flat earth society website for the truth.

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

I'm telling you all the world changed on the day of the solar eclipse

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

SO ITS 62 MILES FROM GROUND TO ATMOSPHERE . WOULD THAT MAKE EARTH A BALL INSIDE OF A BALL?

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

Well, at least this was better than that other eclipse movie.

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

I got to see it. It's not really exciting or cool it was acctucly disappointing

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

A couple years ago I was really exited because there was going to be a total solar eclipse so I brought my solar glasses to school and so did my friends but what happened was we couldn’t go outside so we had to watch a video of it

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

i want to know what music she used right after the vox observatory portion. The part where she talked about how we first start to see the solar eclipse by the trees etc… Can anyone help?

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

Saw it in Salem, Oregon last year. I could try my very best to describe it, but my words would never do it justice. My memory of the event still fills me with a vast array of emotions. It was the most spectacular thing I have ever experienced in my entire life.

• May 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

There were some very intelligent people. Some people flat earthers think sun and moon are projection because sun and moon can be seen at the same time. I can’t explain that with my imagination. Can u please make a video explaining it. I had doubt of solar eclipse happening every month u but u cleared that doubt. But can’t understand the phases

I’ve seen two eclipses in my life 1 total 1 Luna