Thomas Sowell on Facts and Free Speech (Pt. 1)

Dr. Thomas Sowell (Economist) joins Dave to discuss his Marxist past, free speech on campuses, distinguishing between classical liberalism and libertarianism, …

23 thoughts on “Thomas Sowell on Facts and Free Speech (Pt. 1)

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

I like Rubin, but this interview highlighted what I think his problem is, and the problem that many people like him suffer from. He is literally "obsessed" with labeling himself and labelling the ideas of others. He is overly concerned with calling himself a "classical" liberal as if classical liberalism is somehow better than contemporary liberalism, or conservatism for that matter.

Dr. Sowell tried to impress upon him, multiple times, that he is not concerned with figuring out how to label himself or others. His concern is in getting to the bottom of the FACTS. Rubin needs to worry more about the facts, less about the labels, and let go of this "my team is better than yours" mentality.

The fact is there is not a single so-called "classical liberal" that shares the exact same political ideology as another so-called "classical liberal." The work isn't about figuring which team you belong to, but to gather as many facts as you can and come to the most logical conclusion possible.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

A boy with a library card and a critical view can shake the foundations of America; for the better!

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Sowell is my all time favourite US citizen! He should have been President instead of Obama.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

They should call the Rubin Report, Sucking Up To Minorities Because of White Guilt.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

I have to call B.S. on one point of Dr. Sowells.. Teenage pregnancy vs, Sex Education as liberal policy. Facts on the ground are that Abstinence only teaching in conservative regions yield not only the highest teenage pregnancy rates but also the highest repeat teenage pregnancy rates (but even still, this is a very complicated topic). There are other points he has made that are also a bit dubious but this is one that I know is very clear and not accurately portrayed by him in this video. He should have just omitted this statement from his arsenal of ideas. It would have been to his benefit.

I find the man to be a wonderful thinker and presenter of many ideas that run contrary to public opinion that are truly based in fact, but I see him often belittling his ideas as a whole by misleading the audience by demonizing the left with inaccurate statements or mischaracterizations of trends. Many times warranted. Sometimes not..

Even though I am center left, I love listening to this (very important) thinker. I just feel like he doesn't need to grasp for anything.. He has wonderful points that he makes with great impact. He does not need to always tow the company-line (conservative ideology) as sometimes doing so puts him at odds with reality. His main points can stand on their own without the need for such behavior. I realize everyone wants to hit it out of the ballpark.. But he can so easily do that without straying off course. He would have a larger audience if he stuck ONLY to those facts that are the most concrete or at least state a more balanced view when warranted. It would give him more credibility to people in the middle (the place where minds are changed).

I still love this guy. He is an American treasure. I hope he lives (and shares his views) forever.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

I first looked into Thomas Sowell's columns because he was the first black conservative I heard of, and I found that he is the best and most insightful political philosopher I have ever read. He definitely has influenced me a lot.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Please bring Dr. Sowell back on! Perhaps a panel, too? Elders? Peterson? Love your show all day long, Mr. Rubin. Keep up the spectacular work.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

One of the things I took away from this interview was that Thomas said he got into the habit of reading from a young age. That kind of tells you how important reading is in the development of intellect.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

My belief is that Dr. Sowell is THE National Treasure. We should record him as often as is possible. He knows reality.

YouTube/Google/Facebook/Twitter = Approaches of Pravda style censorship

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

I don't even understand what is 'wrong' with this guy? He seems like many other guests I've seen on various YouTube channels. Why single him out? Someone please enlighten me? I'm not American, so maybe I missed something from being an outsider.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

let me see if I got that. Latin-America has 8% of the world population, they commit 38% of all murders, and 80% of those murders occur on 2% of the streets?

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Can someone explain why the average black person don't even know who Thomas Sowell is?

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

What Sowell says in those moments from 21:13 – ~21:50 is probably the most critically important in the entire interview, and pulls the rug out from under all the "diversity/ equity" loonies who hog the airwaves these days.

"Disparity is the norm". Always has been; always will be. No top-down ideology (whether left- or right-wing, Communist or Fascist, matriarchal or patriarchal) can ever erase that.

I would settle for any kind of thinking, so rare these days – T. Sewell

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

"just trying to get a few facts across is a full time job" x)))

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Absolute SHAME on YouTube for demonetizing this video. SUCH an informative conversation.

• February 11, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Nice video love this guy 😀 , BTW… Subscribe to Pewdipie!