Teachers’ strike forcing public schools in Arizona to be closed for days

The governor says he and state legislators have reached an agreement to increase teacher salaries by 20 percent.

40 thoughts on “Teachers’ strike forcing public schools in Arizona to be closed for days

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

These teachers shuld have know that there salarys are for shit. Why did they go in to edication? Its there falt for chosing a low paying job. Vote republicun and MAGA!!! … (this post is pure sarcasm, btw)

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

not that this isn't important but i feel the need to tell that Deedra Abboud is running for senate, to be the first Muslim senator in Arizona, is that something you want in our country, a Muslim making laws for Americans to follow when they left Islamic countries because of the laws they have there. Especially since shes a woman and she wouldn't even be able to talk in Muslim countries.

Its happening in North Carolina too starting tomorrow

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Protest common core you over paid millenials!

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

They want more money to do what? Instruct kids to hate the flag and the US and then question what bathroom to use?

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

The useful idiots want to vote out the Governor who signed HIS budget so the teacher got a 20% raise. Ducey is GOP, so they want him gone. #REDforED is lead by Marxists. The media loves them, because they are as well.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

As a highschool student, I would like to say that this strike was completely unneccesary. I had gotten a letter last Wednesday specifically saying that the strike would only last that Thursday and Friday, then school would resume on Monday. That was totally not the case. I've been at home for a good six days. Now school is to finally resume tomorrow, Friday. Which makes no sense to go to one day of school. Every field trip was cancelled, they're talking about taking away our early release days, and even making us go to Saturday school for what they did. It feels like a punishment in a way. Yes, I completely suppport the fact that they should get a higher pay and higher education funding. But they signed a contract knowing how much they were going to get payed. A contract saying that they will be there to teach us, and not leave during the most inconvienent time. My school just finished AZMerit testing before teachers had left, but we still haven't done district finals or assigned finals. So I already know that tomorrow when I get back, I will be loaded with a stack of work to do over the weekend. Im sorry if my opinion unsettles you in anyway, but I just wanted some people to know what the strike was like from a student's point of view.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Now that this is settled and these people will get a 20% pay increase phased in over 4 years will they quit whining about not making enough money?  I'll believe it when I see it, and I'm not hopeful.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

This is getting fucking ridiculous, it’s been eight days now and this is going nowhere so I just say to let them all fucking stop this stupid shit protest.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

These teachers knew what they were going to get paid when they signed up for the job. They could protest in the summer or on the weekends. This is a disgrace! I would never put my child in socialist/communist ran public schools…

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Arizona has some of the best private and charter schools in the Nation.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Let’s see now, become successful in a system that creates an environment that allows one to do so then influence the creation of policy so one does not have to pay for it. What a surprise. Millions of people died throughout history to protect this system and yet there are those, most of whom have not been to war, that don’t feel it’s their responsibility to support the very country that fostered their success. They don’t want to pay taxes. WTF else is going to pay for this country? Slavery?

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

GCC college instead of keeping football team and paying 10 million $$$ to keep it going let it go to save the money for the schools cause they feel education first. That's a lot of money they saved.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Go fuck yourselves teachers.
    I’m a student and I don’t wanna wait any longer.
    Back back in the fucking classroom and teach us you shits.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Meanwhile substitutes are out of work and won't be able to pay next month's rent. Thanks a fuck load, teachers.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

If Arizona took school all schools furniture budgets and they have them. Liquidated them all into 1 pool. Would have more than enough to pay all teachers 20% more and then some. I’m sure they could do 1 year without 80,000 dollars worth of furniture. Any one that works at schools will tell you the wasted money is despicable! And is spent primarily on what top administrators want not what schools need. The problem is at the top administration level.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Ok so don’t remember the proposition number but it was a cigarette tax in Colorado when I worked there. That was going to save education! Where’s the money!? And I currently live in Arizona. Where we passed prop 308 that was to go directly to teachers in the classroom! Where’s the money!!?? I can tell you from personal experience! Worked for Scottsdale unified. The money goes to top administration levels in the district boards and top administrators. And they do whatever they want with it. They are self governed who is going to stop them? Them selfs, no. Another huge issue I have with schools is budget appropriations. They are so wrong and so against everything we stand for as Americans. I’ve watched classrooms suffer with insufficient air conditioning. But then 20,000 dollars of new furniture gets delivered to school because they had to spend the money! An ac cost a third of that. Not right

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Not impressed by this "strike" whatsoever. They signed a contract for this school year and they should be honoring that. Rather than holding parents and kids hostage until they get all they want. God forbid they do this in the summer when they have time off.
    So education fell on hard times, welcome to everyone else's life. What bothers me most is that these teachers refuse to compromise. It's all or nothing with them. The governor has laid some pretty good proposals. If my employer said hey you're pay will be going up 20% over the next two years I'd be overjoyed. This fight should be give and take on both sides.

I live in san luiz arizona and so far schools been closed for 4 days

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

They are against education so they can keep people dumb.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Completely retarded to do this near the end of the school year, cancelling school days and holding off education for kids is unnecessary. Should've done this in the summer or some shit

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Teachers deserve what they're asking for, their jobs are so important.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Where is the education going?teachers across the world are losing there jobs with no raises nor the funding for these schools where is it all going?

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

I wish I could take 2nd job as uber driver. But my truck just blew its engine and I got no money to fix it cause greedy american customers…..want me and my American employees to work for 40 years ago wages.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

It's good to notice how protest (Kid's against gun violence and Teachers for our schools) gets results. Voting in a badly contorted system will never gets results like we've got from protest. MLK never ran for office for a damn good reason. He refused to be bought and cowed among the elite. His life was leading regular people in opposition to the 1%.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Deport those illegals, and American children can be afforded millions more….. Simple solution…. Think they'd already know that, but not every ones a math teacher.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Lol, all of these butt hurt teachers are fucking dumber than they look. Public education is a dying job, and charter schools, and home schooling is the future. The public education has such a leftist bias, that even the left is knowing about it. Why pay someone, who is 70% likely to be a leftist, and only cares for the top notch kids, and not the special ed, and average children. I mean come on we only teach common core now! All I see in my little brothers back pack now is fucking common core math, science, and English prep stuff. These teachers knew that how much they were going to get paid for the job, why are they complaining now? So people, instead of investing more into these worthless pieces of society, take your kids to online homeschooling, or to a charter school. And to the teachers, fuck off, you're worthless to society now. Go get an actual job that benefits today's society, like enlisting in the military, become a firefighter, become a construction worker, or starting a company…

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Americans be like our lives are terrible. Other countries look at Americans and be like please trade me lives

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

The principal makes three times as much as the teacher's. The people at the top get fat that's the American way .

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Teacher: I want more money.
    ME:did you do a better job ?
    Teacher: No I just want more money , I'm a professional baby sitter with summers off , I have it hard ! …..

Meanwhile kids are dumber then ever !