Teachers’ strike forcing public schools in Arizona to be closed for days

The governor says he and state legislators have reached an agreement to increase teacher salaries by 20 percent.

40 thoughts on “Teachers’ strike forcing public schools in Arizona to be closed for days

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

These teachers shuld have know that there salarys are for shit. Why did they go in to edication? Its there falt for chosing a low paying job. Vote republicun and MAGA!!! … (this post is pure sarcasm, btw)

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

not that this isn't important but i feel the need to tell that Deedra Abboud is running for senate, to be the first Muslim senator in Arizona, is that something you want in our country, a Muslim making laws for Americans to follow when they left Islamic countries because of the laws they have there. Especially since shes a woman and she wouldn't even be able to talk in Muslim countries.

Its happening in North Carolina too starting tomorrow

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Protest common core you over paid millenials!

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

They want more money to do what? Instruct kids to hate the flag and the US and then question what bathroom to use?

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

The useful idiots want to vote out the Governor who signed HIS budget so the teacher got a 20% raise. Ducey is GOP, so they want him gone. #REDforED is lead by Marxists. The media loves them, because they are as well.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

As a highschool student, I would like to say that this strike was completely unneccesary. I had gotten a letter last Wednesday specifically saying that the strike would only last that Thursday and Friday, then school would resume on Monday. That was totally not the case. I've been at home for a good six days. Now school is to finally resume tomorrow, Friday. Which makes no sense to go to one day of school. Every field trip was cancelled, they're talking about taking away our early release days, and even making us go to Saturday school for what they did. It feels like a punishment in a way. Yes, I completely suppport the fact that they should get a higher pay and higher education funding. But they signed a contract knowing how much they were going to get payed. A contract saying that they will be there to teach us, and not leave during the most inconvienent time. My school just finished AZMerit testing before teachers had left, but we still haven't done district finals or assigned finals. So I already know that tomorrow when I get back, I will be loaded with a stack of work to do over the weekend. Im sorry if my opinion unsettles you in anyway, but I just wanted some people to know what the strike was like from a student's point of view.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Now that this is settled and these people will get a 20% pay increase phased in over 4 years will they quit whining about not making enough money?  I'll believe it when I see it, and I'm not hopeful.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

This is getting fucking ridiculous, it’s been eight days now and this is going nowhere so I just say to let them all fucking stop this stupid shit protest.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

These teachers knew what they were going to get paid when they signed up for the job. They could protest in the summer or on the weekends. This is a disgrace! I would never put my child in socialist/communist ran public schools…

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Arizona has some of the best private and charter schools in the Nation.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Let’s see now, become successful in a system that creates an environment that allows one to do so then influence the creation of policy so one does not have to pay for it. What a surprise. Millions of people died throughout history to protect this system and yet there are those, most of whom have not been to war, that don’t feel it’s their responsibility to support the very country that fostered their success. They don’t want to pay taxes. WTF else is going to pay for this country? Slavery?

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

GCC college instead of keeping football team and paying 10 million $$$ to keep it going let it go to save the money for the schools cause they feel education first. That's a lot of money they saved.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Go fuck yourselves teachers.
    I’m a student and I don’t wanna wait any longer.
    Back back in the fucking classroom and teach us you shits.

• November 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Meanwhile substitutes are out of work and won't be able to pay next month's rent. Thanks a fuck load, teachers.