MWB: Why Intelligent Black Women Can’t Stand ‘Girls Trip’ Movie

Nomalanga Mhlauli-Moses & Shaquita Graham of MarriedWomensBiz.com discuss this hot topic. The Dr Boyce Watkins Channel is an all-black news and commentary channel that features a number of…

39 thoughts on “MWB: Why Intelligent Black Women Can’t Stand ‘Girls Trip’ Movie

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Girl trip sounds like a black version of sex in the city. Which their nothing liberating about casual sex. They promote whoring in the black community . This is not a black stereotypes. White feminism promote casual sex. White women has always been casual about sex using abortion as some forum birth control. White practice trash behavior an never been call out on it. It nothing but white feminist attitude.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Oh god please, sisters shut up. How many of you have seen a descent black movie with your kids that made any money. How come both of you are not having your own show on tv.? Bcos you don't have the production power to do it, so here you are on u-tube, trying to boost yourself. You talk abt interracial couples, what time have u spent teaching young sisters how to love and respect black men. Please define a black wholesome woman ??? When did you two go and help Monique demonstrates or attack Netflix, for how she's been treated.. OR you guys are all talk. Where were you guys during the Trump elections. JOKERS.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Saw the movie today and it just wasn't good to me

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

In my opinion it focused on Black female stereotypes: oversexed, angry Black women, low-class. Horrible stereotypes. It was trash and not even funny. You want to see a movie that portrays African-American in a better light watch Black Panther. This movie portrayed African-American women as warriors, strong, powerful, and beautiful. A much better portrayal of African-American woman than this garbage. Or even watch Hidden Figures. Anything but this film.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

shaquita you made some real relevant points. rappers don't want to be responsible in a time where it is crucial to our people. they just want to be entertaining and grab a bag. we are getting tired of this crap.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

@ 5:30 – Excellent point Noma!! Other races of men are going to think they can get a black women to do anything they want. I don't see why some women can't see that!

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

I saw the trailor and knew instantly I will not be paying my hard earned money on that garbage. Unfortunately I watched half of the movie at my cousins only because she decided to watch it while I was there. She told me how funny it was. I could not finish watching. I watched almost half and I left. That ghetto hood booger character annoyed the hell out of me.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

I feel like the movie was okay and it was meant to be a fun film to watch friends in it have a good time while traveling but one of the main things that turned some off was the constantly Vulgarness from Tiffany Haddish. We just had a Marvelous film like Hidden Figures that came out and was so such a Powerful film and then here comes a Ratchet film like Girl's Trip. I feel like it's taking a step back…The actions and vulgar language in this film just made some Black women look bad.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Malcolm X asked the question who taught you to hate yourself. From the time of black face and menstrual shows we were always portrayed at our very worst that we think it's normal. Case and point in the 80's people said the cosby show where acting white black Doctor, black Lawyer, now today we have Insecure with Issa rae her character is a teacher and her best friend molly is a lawyer. And all they talk about is sucking Dick,fucking random men and call each other nigger nigger nigger and niggers love it and nigger girls rock gave issa an award nigger please

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Black men, watch this movie and you'll be convinced to stay away from these ghetto bitches and go MGTOW

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Bet money these same black women who say that "it's just a movie" wouldn't find Lisa Lampinelli funny.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Too many black people get upset when you DEMAND that they be mature.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

The trailors make the movie seem worse than it is. I finally saw the movie and it did attempt balance. That being said, based on the rubric you set before me, I'd give it a 3.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

I'm intelligent and educated and I have enough sense to know the difference between reality and entertainment. People want to be entertained, that's why there's a high success for those type of movies. Supply and demand. If you have an issue with it, instead of talking about the problem how about you come up with a solution. Create the type of movies that you and your market would like to see instead of making youtube videos. Good luck

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

They must have cloned Jada Pinkett. She's not the person I knew since 6th grade anymore. I make and wear custom T-shirts too but those jackets were ridiculous. Not to mention their Hair hats containing their idiotic confidence, walking around with white woman hair on. They even put neon wigs on TOP of the hair hats they already had on! lol smh!
    It's ironic but I WAS physically attracted to the thick, hair hatted chick that was the trouble maker. I'd make her take the wig and makeup off though. Wasn't she in the Kid N Play movie? She'd have to change her attitude too though.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Most Tyler Perry movies shows uptight black people if that's what you want to see, and hidden figures, and denzel's "Fences." Stop hating. You two have too much time on your hands. If you don't like it. DON'T WATCH, PROBLEM SOLVED.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

When I saw the opening scene with Tiffany Haddish online acting crazy in the office. That's when they lost me. Haven't seen the movie at all.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Quite frankly, you wouldn't caught me dead seeing a movie like that. If a movie like that was made about Chinese people in Hollywood, every Chinese in the world would boycott Hollywood and hold demonstrations for days. The system knows that black people are not a united race of people, won't do a damn thing about it and can shamelessly use black traitors to betray their people for a few pieces of silver and fame. Movies like" Girl Trip" are designed to keep the race off balance, and to virulently poison, conditioned, brainwashed the minds of the young with self-destruct filth. This is not entertainment by any means; it's a blueprint to help perpetuate the destruction of a race of people!.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

SAME OLD SAME OLD THAT SHIT BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS. SAME THING HAPPENED TO US 70S GALS. WE GOT PASSED IT AND MOVED ON. IT'S AN AGENDA BABY THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. DON'T GO SEE THE SHIT.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

SISTER GET YOUR DAM HEAD OUT OF HELLYWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

This quote reminded me of something when I saw Tiffany Haddish in Girls Trip: "Black people are desperate to entertain away and laugh away our problems…" I intuited that Tiffany had a great sadness and "fuck it all" mentality in her comedy that reminded me of the genius of Richard Pryor. Turns out when we got home, my partner looked up Tiffany's history and bam, there is was. Even that she was mentored by him. The desperation is a symptom of oppression as you both well understand and that is not explored in the film. It's much harder to do comedy with a conscience, especially slapstick – but it is possible and must be so with films of POC. I am thoroughly appreciative of this video and the extent which you both pore over details as well as pour out your hearts. This video is a powerful teaching tool for sure. Gracias!

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

this is what happen when you have people who souls are brought . they don't pledge their allegiance to the black community nor your causes but Satan

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

People need realize its just entertainment, however, movies can be very influential on how we conduct our selves, and how other people view our demographic.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

I saw the movie. I didn't think it was gut busting funny. However, it did have it's moments. With anything I engage/indulge in I analyze it. I got where the movie was going. Friends who got together and let loose from their daily day to day. Different strokes for different folks. Im not a fan of it however I won't knock you for being one.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

I respect there opinion but they missed the whole concept it is a comedy movie. We don't always have to be serious. We should be happy that women of color can be on this platform and uplift them because there are not a lot of black female roles. The movie was good with a good message. We can be so socially minded that we do not have fun and let loose. Comedy is when you know its true and they talk about it any comedian will tell you that.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

So now any movie that has a good message witb comedy involving black people should be rejected if all the black characters aren't .portrayed as 100% ìmage conscious, militant black people. I Would the tv series I've heard so much about from black people called "POWER" be what we should be watching?? To shun all movies because one character is ratchet isn't even reality or the makeup of our people. People who stayed past the first 30 minutes and until the end of the movie really know what the movie was about and are thankful for the message it sent

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

The title of this video is very condescending. I listened to the interview on youtube in which Tiffany Haddish spoke to the breakfast club. Het childhood was extremely shocking in which she took over her mothers responsibilities of raising her siblings at the age of 9, because her stepfather tried to kill her family. He cut the breakline in the car causing her mother to get into a bad accident. Her real story is sad, courageous and joyful and yes she is a bit raunchy. She is more of a hero than the condescending women posing this video women in this video. We don't grace to be perfect a black women and have nothing to prove to anyone. Life itself as a black woman is enough do get over yourselves

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

The Tiffany Haddish was very OTT –  and the women were portrayed as a bit oversexual.  but other that that I found it very funny and heartwarming.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Can we not laugh at our truths and grow. Every race has a right to embrace every part of their being. Not everyone learns, loves, and grows the same way. If you feel like something is missing go create it, don't try to find fault in what others are trying to build. Give people a chance to prove you wrong.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

It's interesting that people have opinions about films they haven't seen.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

It isn't true that Jehovah's Witnesses don't watch TV but they are encouraged to be HIGHLY selective with television programming as well as their choice in music. The commentary is that the source of the entertainment world does not reflects godly characteristics so therefore they should be very unbecoming to someone trying to be a Christian.

• May 12, 2018 at 5:27 pm

One thing that has been lost in the lessons of Black History. The days of MLK and earlier, blacks understood the important of image and character which is the glue of the foundation. Today our foundation is weak because we have lost the important of our image. We have allow our oppressors to successful use strategy of division with tactics like: independent woman (black men or having to compete with black women more and more instead of us working together), racism (in the sense that is all we see which cause us to miss the what really at work), high profile blacks (use to direct us in the wrong direction), and so on.

Change must start at the grassroots level. First we must again understand everything one of us do in a negative image will be use to support their stereotype view of us; learn to unify. At the same time understand that our actions or non actions will have a huge effect on our future generation. Equally important is to be able to accept constructive criticism and denounce blacks who are not on the right of side equality regardless of their position.