Johnny C. Taylor and Dave Rubin: Race and Education in America (Full Interview)

Johnny C. Taylor (CEO, The Thurgood Marshall College Fund) joins Dave to discuss historically black colleges and universities, the family dynamic within the black community, the immigration…

44 thoughts on “Johnny C. Taylor and Dave Rubin: Race and Education in America (Full Interview)

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

This was an excellent discussion. I will definitely watch for more from Johnny C. Taylor in the future.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I think the current cohort of millennials are essentially a generation of Ronald Reagan’s, because of the over simplistic black and white, good v. evil world view they have.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Ah, but the questions posed are founded on the premise that skin color/race is important, and not just important but key to many of the very topics discussed. Would you ask these same questions of an oriental? Apparently we simply cannot help racial profiling in our discussions because race is a foundational identifier for chosen topics. I'm not saying this is bad, just that we should recognize and be able to discuss the truth of this.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I just love this interview! So refreshing to see a beautiful black man of independent thought from what the establishment dictates speak so sensibly, full of logic and reason. Home run, Dave!!

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

How have I never heard of this guy? Utterly brilliant, fantastic role model.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

How pleasant and very fortunate that we can watch quality interviews like this! Great job!

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Maybe he can look to start up a good black university. There are enough very good black professors. And only blacks can go to this Univ. That would be great! Then they dont have to give off on the whites all the time!

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

This gets much more interesting later on

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

20:20 statistically speaking, according to the Brookings institute poverty across all groups has very much to do with single motherhood. The black single motherhood rate was declining before the welfare state. In 1960 the single motherhood rate was at 20 percent, today it's 70 percent

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I have an IQ of 53 and own 6 businesses with a new worth of over $52 million. No excuses guys.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

This was such a good conversation; listening to everything he said about limiting government and not whitewashing history and etc I'm not sure how he was ever a Hilary supporter but I really like this guy and will be watching him.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

53:30 "Is there any way to scale it back? This thing has gotten so big can we cut back?" The only way to make that happen is through the COS Project: https://conventionofstates.com. A convention of the states could return power to the people and the states and fix the financial issues Congress won't because of the big business money in Washington. Dave you REALLY need to have a COS representative on to talk about it.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Johnny C. Taylor should be world famous. That is all.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

What a truly incredible conversation!

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

"and I say the community, I mean all Americans, but particularly african-americans" Contradicted himself real quick there

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

JohnnC taylor is Complely wrong The Black Family in slavery and freedom proves the the black family survive slavery jim crow.. but everything else he say is spot on

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

On Mr. Taylor's point regarding these 'fragile' communities, wouldn't ending the drug war, and simply undermining the market for illegal drug sales work in reducing gang crime? Wouldn't legalizing prostitution lead to less women selling their bodies on the street? You'd also put the pimps out of a job if you did that, I'd think.

I'm just saying. I don't think we'd have nearly as much crime, if we merely legalized and regulated these things. I mean, why buy a rock of crack for twenty to forty dollars, when you can buy coke for cheaper at a store? Drugs are a risky business, man. It isn't easy. If you take away the money, then you'll find that people won't bother trying to sale it to your kids anymore.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Malcolm X spoke against having a "Leader" or "Voice" of the African American community. Does the Jewish community have one? Does the white community have one? Hispanic? There is no need for that. In doing so, you are basically saying African Americans even as adults need to be led like children. There doesn't need to be a leader. There need to be individuals with morality, ethics and responsiblity. That's it.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

The black family was not always separated. Pre-Great Society, the overwhelming majority of black kids were born in a 2 parent home within a marriage. In the 40's, children were born in wedlock at a 90% rate.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

God I just love the vibe of your channel! It's intelligent, understanding, and its real meaningful discussion! However as a conservative looking to challenge my own beliefs, admittedly to see if I can reaffirm them, I wish you would bring up more valuable and true points of the liberal left. If just for the sake of an actual exchange of ideas. Always believed that if you lean all the way left or all the way right then you're just not paying real attention.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

More people need to listen to this guy. Seriously. If these assholes making proposing a lot of these policies had to spend a day walking around the non candy coated Baltimore they would understand what he is saying.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

A tension diffusing conversation indeed. Should be shown to both sides.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

"If the gov can pay for DOCA (or whatever term was said) students shouldn't ya'll pay for the children of slaves first?" If slavery had literally just ended yes. But little snowflake your mother/father wasn't a shipped over on a boat, chained and whipped, forced labor slave. Also, be very careful playing game because it can be turned around on you since 1) there were black slave owners 2) by and large the people that made those people slaves are other black people and they were simply bought and brought to America 3) should you as a "descendant of a slave" be forced to pay reparations to the descendants of those who fought for the freedom of your ancestors?

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Taylor's talk about decreasing the rate of incarceration in the U.S. is very poignant. Not everything's "oppression;" there really are really bad people in the penal system!

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I think Taylor has a point that even stats bear out – Blacks don't get worked up about the statues anywhere near the White leftists do.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I, too, would like to meet Johnny C. Taylor!

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I'm hoping that Johnny C continues on his path to being RED PILLED. If he could figure out that true freedom comes from a very limited government with low regulations and taxes, he would become a powerful voice for the black community. It's the government stupid!! It's not white people. It's government.

I loved this interview!

Mr. Taylor, I hope that you have great success with your new endeavor. There is a great need.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I can see why you were eager to get this guy – he is awesome – one of your best guest ever.

Johny it WASNT 43 Million and 46 Million…it was 63 Million and 64 Million

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

African Americans kind of are monolithic, they block vote democrat. Trump got like 8% of the black vote, and that was a good number for a republican!

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

It was the essence of diversity of thought. Loved his last statement commenting on if you want to be a leader of any kind that the “American story, 100 years from now is…is a much better story because I was here”.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

for people who keep larping about IQ being 100% genetic are going to have to explain how singapore and korea went from poor shitty fishing villages for centures to high tech industrial and scientific nations within 50 to 100 years. Genes dont mutate that fast

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I don't know why, but he really reminds me of Daniel Craig. Something in the ears and eyes, I think?

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

As an ol" cowboy (or as I prefer, gentleman of western persuasion) it is a pleasure to see that the art of conversation has not yet passed entirely from this earth.  Well done gentlemen.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

The kids have to be citizens and the parents need to be exiled from America for child endangerment. I hate illegals that put their children at risk bringing them here.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Johnny is a smart man but he has a real blind spot when it comes to the problem with the single parent family. It is possibly the biggest issue facing the US. The community can not raise our kids they need both parents to succeed.

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

59:05 Come over to Missouri. Weather's shit, but you'd be hard pressed to find a Progressive too far outside of KC, St.Louis or Columbia.

Have Jared Taylor and Johnny Taylor on at the same time

• October 18, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I would be interested to see this gentleman speak with Larry Elder about that black family.  Mostly because it seems like he would be able to have an interesting conversation and I feel like I would be able to learn a lot from it.  Dave, make it happen!